An Apple Orchard Togetherness That Bodes Well For The Future




I can hardly forget that Friday afternoon in late August. The apple season was at its height with eager bargaining among suppliers. The factories would create those syrupy concentrates, and tons got loaded on trucks for epic journeys across Asia.

Four generations of my family of 18 members congregated for the annual get-together to coincide with the bountiful harvest. Rustic peace is hard to imagine if you live in megacities. Come to my village if you wish to experience life in the raw green lap of nature with yummy crimson apples everywhere.

“I am very happy that you completed post graduation,” great-grandfather truly meant what he said. “Write the services exam well, dear.”

Several teens played among those stately apple trees after the lip smacking lunch ordered from the restaurant 5 miles away in remoteness.

Aunt Sheena spoke up, “Rinchen, somebody wants to meet you.”

“Who? Where?”

“We met her on the road. She seems to be lost.”

I had my apprehensions as I walked down the slope towards the rough road a hundred metres beneath the cottage. She stood in lonely dignity, a bag on the shoulder with a little trolley tugging along. “Hello! I am searching for Mr. Rinchen.”

“I am Rinchen,” was my blurted reply but I remained confused. Villages are not all that innocent any longer.




“I sent you a friend request. I saw your picture a second time on a social network. Life is evolving and it seems to be the way. Websites brought us together, Rinchen.”

My memory does take a while but I always remember. “Sorry about that!  Zeenat is the name, right? I wish you had called me.” Embarrassment waited with the whole family around. Questions would be asked. We were friends anyway, brought together by social media.

“I belong to a business family in Bangladesh. My uncle asked me to negotiate the rates for an apple consignment.”

My immense relief knew no bounds! My family did apple business too though I aimed to become a scientist with my passion for physics.  I liked her from the beginning of our social media contact.

“My father said that negotiations are difficult over Whatsapp and Skype. We need to meet. Payment is always a big hassle.”

She seemed to be prepared with everything. “My uncle will arrive tomorrow. He wanted me to confirm with you since it is a large consignment he wishes to buy.”

My feelings were slowly getting confirmed that I had indeed found a close partner.I feel fortunate that we came together.

Among hundreds of media friends, here was one who seemed real! Having common friends meant we had lots to share, the pictures and videos, the postings and the humour. Like me, she liked the warmth of intimate natural surroundings. Besides, the approval of four family generations seemed an auspicious moment. I am sure that young people need a helping hand.




Comments