A Hysterical Moment Dawns Into Sweet Togetherness

 My cellphone echoed distantly. I almost missed it amidst the frantic mall crowd where I shopped for Christmas with my parents. Fresh from college, I joined my first job and paid a maiden salary, floating in the Bengaluru skies. My colleague Ramesh did not exchange greetings. "Suma, she is admitted to the hospital. Can you come fast? I will SMS the address."





"Why? What happened? Is it an accident?" Ramesh was gone! Anyway, let me clarify about Suma. I took a fancy to her on a dating website. If doctors, homes, rations, electronics, and dresses were bought online, I thought that relationships could start there too. No, jokes apart, I am somewhat serious about settling down with a sweet wife, raising a boy and a girl, keeping my parents happy, and dispensing patriotic duties. 


Yet now, an emergency appeared. I rushed to the hospital, citing urgent official work to my parents. I did not dare mention 'hospital' or think about what might have happened. I only prayed. 

I reached the hospital just in time before visiting hours ended. As I squeezed my way through narrow corridors, I tried again to think. My mind continued to be blank like a television screen without images and sound. A doctor, three nurses, and a few college friends crowded around a paralyzed Suma who seemed lost to the world. "What happened?"


A man put an arm around my shoulder. "You must be Uday. I am Dr Reddy. She got hysterical. I think the problem is the relationship with you."


My whirling mind plucked at images out of thin air. I remembered the party the previous week. She doubted my feelings for Rebecca, whom I helped with money after her accident. Was it jealousy for Rebecca then? I felt relieved that Suma was not another victim of those terrible accidents. It could undoubtedly manage Hysteria. 



My parents had heard and came straight from the mall too. When Suma recovered her senses, she looked at me beside my parents. She did not know that my parents knew about her. She began to believe now that nothing was wrong. Women are so impressionable though she was hardly out of college. My army man's father convinced her in an instant. Mom shed a few inevitable tears. Everything seemed settled in moments! The little crowd melted away, leaving us alone.





"Sorry, Uday, I made a mistake. I got too worried after I heard about Rebecca..." She was the first to speak through a face swollen with tears.


"I can't imagine that you doubted me," was all I could say. 

I could feel the dawning of a long journey with numbing doubts laid at rest. We did not wish to be butterflies either. I remembered a Dating app that I had once doubted. The matchmaking app did seem to work in our case and with close friends. The Matchmaking app is big business these days, the Best matchmaking app should be bringing together lots of people like ourselves. Before you begin the plunge towards  Matrimonial applications in India, spend a moment in this fascinating world.





Comments